As NBFCs have become an integral part of the Indian financial system, there has been constant pressure on these organizations to comply with information security regulations. This NBFC dealt with the financial details of millions of individuals and wanted to ensure that they set up a process that could help them:
- be compliant and ensure easy availability of information whenever required
- protect sensitive information while maintaining control over their own data
- be ready for any unforeseen disaster and recovery prospects
This NBFC was not using any third-party backup solution and had a setup that required manual processes to back up endpoint data to their local storage server. The arrangement was highly suboptimal for several reasons:
- manual backups were consuming a lot of time and effort of the IT team
- they were not able to achieve visibility and control over all the end-user backups
- inconsistent and unreliable backups led to frequent unavailability of the required information
- lack of encryption of data in transit and/or at rest was particularly troubling and was negatively impacting their regulatory compliance score
- data retention and recovery was a major concern as the processes involved were highly manual and error-prone.
They needed a quick solution and wanted to implement an endpoint backup solution that would help them automate the backup process, ensure data protection with encryption in place, while still allowing them to use their on-premise storage infrastructure for all their backups – which was important for regulatory compliance.